Exercise significantly improves your health in many ways — from helping to maintain a healthy weight and keeping cholesterol levels in check, to maintaining good blood flow to the body and encouraging growth of new brain cells and connections.
Nelson Dellis is the two-time USA Memory Champion, who can memorize more than 300 numbers in a sequence. Not only does Nelson eat a diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids to help support his brain and cardiovascular health, he also engages in physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day.
The summer season is a great time to enjoy the outdoors and get active. Below are Nelson’s favorite outdoor activities.
- Go for a three-mile run: Pace yourself. Make a cool playlist on your iPod, and bring water
- Try a body-weight crossfit workout: 10 rounds of: 10 air squats- stand straight up, drop to a sitting position and come right back up- that is one rep. Then do 10 push ups and 10 sit ups
- Go kayaking for an hour down a river or in the ocean
- Take the bike out and go for a 30-minute bike ride
- Swim as many laps as you can in a pool
- Grab a tennis racket and a friend and take it to the courts
- Hop in the pool and try to do as many laps as you can, pacing yourself of course
- For a relaxing workout that will keep you flexible, hit the beach and practice yoga in the sand for 30 minutes
- Get out and go for a leisurely walk!