As the weather warms and shorts start to rotate back into our wardrobe cycle, many of us would like to look our best and even shed a few extra pounds. Registered dietitian Elizabeth Somer says, “You can tame your appetite if you do it right.” She recently appeared on the TODAY Show to discuss six foods that can help curb your appetite.
- Oats and whole grains. Oats are made out of fiber and water, which help make you feel more full without excessive calorie intake.
- Broth-based soup. Eating a bowl of soup before a meal will also help fill you up before your main course, so you don’t eat more than you need.
- Beans. Adding beans to a salad or soup is a great way to include protein in your diet.
- Omega-3s found in fortified foods or supplements. Among the many health benefits of omega-3s, getting DHA in your diet can be an important part to a healthy diet. Try spaghetti with Francesco Rinaldi ToBe Healthy Pasta Sauce or chicken wraps with Mission LifeBalance tortillas. You can also supplement with an algal DHA supplement like Ovega-3.
- Spicy foods. You may feel more satisfied when eating a spicy, flavorful meal, which can help you say “no” to a second portion.
- Milk. Drink a glass of milk to get calcium while also helping to alleviate hunger pains.