This warming, spicy soup,from Eat Your Way to Sexy by Elizabeth Somer, features nutritional powerhouse sweet potatoes, which contain vitamins B6, C and D and iron, magnesium, potassium and carotenoids.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
10 cups sweet potato (peeled and cubed, approximately 3 1 /2 to 4 pounds of whole potato)
2 minced garlic clove
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1/3 cup spicy mango chutney
3 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1/3 cup vermouth
6 cups chicken broth
1 8-ounce baker potato, peeled and cubed
½ cup lite coconut milk
½ cup fat-free evaporated milk
1 tablespoon honey
juice and zest from one lime
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, turn up heat to medium-high, and sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, chutney, peanut butter, and curry paste, and stir to thoroughly coat sweet potatoes.
- Add vermouth, stir, and simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add broth and potato, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until potatoes begin to break apart, approximately 30 minutes.
- Add lime juice and zest
- Transfer soup to food processor or blender and puree.
- Return to saucepan; add coconut milk, evaporated milk, and honey.
- Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into soup bowls and garnish with peanuts and cilantro.
Makes 6 servings (approximately 2 cups each)
Nutrition Analysis: 464 Calories, 20 % fat (10 g, 2.6 g saturated), 67 % carbs (77. g), 13 % protein (15.1 g), 9 g fiber, 863 mg sodium.